Flower Bed Pillow & Molly Flower Pattern

Hello Readers!
I am super excited to share this new project I completed at the start of the month. It had to remain a secret because it was a gift for my cousin’s baby shower. (Congratulations Erin and Matthew)
Introducing the Flower Bed Pillow! This pillow cover is mainly comprised of Molly Flowers (instructions below) and features an opening in the back to allow for cleaning. (You know how babies are!) 
It took me a while to decide what to make for the upcoming bundle of joy. The baby’s room is woodland animal themed, so I initially thought to make an amigurumi animal of some kind, like a fox or a squirrel. But I already knew my Mum had a crochet bunny planned, so I thought again, “What does a baby’s room need?” I didn’t want to make a blanket because baby would eventually outgrow it (plus I was a little tight on time for that undertaking) That is when I arrived at the pillow idea! Similar to a blanket, in that it is used for comfort but also decoration, but with much more longevity. 
This pillow is not intended for sleeping on, but I envisioned it on a rocking chair, supporting my cousin as she rocks her babe to sleep or reads to them. As the child grows up this pillow can still decorate their room, or be moved to a living room as a throw pillow. If they outgrow the style then I am sure Erin wouldn’t mind taking over ownership!

By making the majority of  the Molly Flowers in green, I feel it mimics the forest floor where the woodland creatures play. I chose blue, pink and white as my contrast flowers to include some nice bright colours. This way it should coordinate with the other decor in the baby’s room, without being only “baby colours.”
I made up most of this pillow as I went, so unfortunately no pattern to share. But I can show you how to make a Molly Flower so you can create your own designs with it! 
I have also included a chart with the instructions for those of you who are visual learners (like me).
  1. Magic circle, 12 single crochet into the circle, slip stitch to join. You can change colours here, and crochet over your ends, or continue in the same colour.
  2. [Chain 3, Puff stitch into next stitch, chain 3 and slip in next stitch] repeat around so you have 6 petals, fasten off and weave in ends.
When attaching the flowers together you can treat them like hexagon granny squares. I simply sewed the tips of the petals together and it was perfect to hold them all in place. It is very easy to figure out the partial flowers to make clean, flat edges, which helps when crocheting around the border. The border is what really holds the final shape in place, allowing this motif to be used in a variety of projects to create beautiful texture.
As you are fully aware from my last few posts, I LOVE giving handmade gifts! I get to show my love to the new arrival with my own hard work and time, and I know it will be cherished always!
Let me know what you would make with Molly Flowers in the comments below!
Until next time,
I’m Kat and that’s that!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts