Chunky Boho Cowl - Free Crochet Pattern



Hello Readers!

As promised, this week we will be taking a look at the Chunky Boho Cowl I created with your help. If you would like to help me make decisions on future projects follow me on Instagram and check my story for behind the scenes and polls for your input on my creations. I love bouncing my ideas off you guys, and the more the merrier (plus I’m almost at 300 followers)!
In this case, I could not decide what to do with this amazing crazy yarn I picked up on a whim. It called to me from the shelf and I (surprisingly) couldn’t pick between orange or green, my two favourite colours! They look so vibrant together, they almost vibrate; so of course I got both! Perfect cosy yarn for the cold weather and nice, bright colours for deary winter days. But what to make? With 2 rounds of polling on Instagram (the first was a draw) we had our winner! A comfy cosy Chunky Boho Cowl for the new year. The funky colours work great in these pom poms and they kind of remind me of fireworks at midnight New Years Eve.
I wanted there to be a good balance between the colours, so I figured stripes would be best. But I didn't want a solid stripe because I figured this yarn would be just as cosy with some spaces to let it breathe. And I was right! You will see in the pattern at the end of this post, that it repeats in rows of three. I did this so the colours would stay balanced when alternating every row. It did work out that way, but I used slightly more green in the main body of the cowl, so the pom poms are mostly orange, which again creates balance.
This was a super fun pattern to create and it worked up super fast too! Even with making it up as I went, I finished it in an evening. Loops & Threads has other colourways in the Chunky Boho line, but they also have other chunky yarns that would work for this pattern.

Chunky Boho Cowl Pattern:

You need:
2 balls Chunky Boho by Loops & Threads
Colourways:
 - Absinthe - 1 ball
 - Singapore Sling - 1 ball
11.5 mm Crochet hook
Pattern using US terms

Row 1 - starting with colour A.
Chain 42, switch to colour B, chain 4 (2 as starting chains and a 2 chain space), double crochet in the 6th chain from the hook, [chain 2, skip 2 stitches, double crochet in next stitch] repeat across, switch to A, chain 2 and turn. Make sure to leave long ends (4 inches or so), the tails are used to secure the pom poms later on.

Row 2 - starting with A.
2 double crochet into 2 chain space, [chain 1, 2 double crochet into next 2 chain space], repeat across (14 sets of 2 double crochet total), double crochet in second starting chain of row 1, switch to B, chain 1 and turn.

Row 3 - starting with B.
Single crochet into the last double crochet of row 2, back loop single crochet in the next 2 stitches, [single crochet into one chain space, back loop single crochet in next 2 stitches] repeat across, single crochet into second starting chain, switch to A, chain 4 and turn.

Row 4 - starting with A.
Double crochet into the first single crochet in a one chain space(third stitch from hook), [chain 2, skip 2 stitches, double crochet] repeat across with last double crochet into the top of the first single crochet of Row 3, switch to B, chain 2 and turn.

Row 5 - starting in B.
Follow instructions for row 2, except switch to A at the end of the row.

Row 6 - starting with A.
The same as Row 3, but anything that was a back loop stitch is now a front loop stitch to remain on the right side of the garment. Fasten off at the end of this row, again leaving a long tail.

Finishing

At each end of your scarf you should have 4 tails in colour A and 3 in colour B. You will notice that the extra strand in colour A is from the first and last row. Pair up the other strands and tie a single knot at the base of each set. At one end of the scarf tie the ends of the strands in a double knot to create 3 loops.
You should have extra yarn in colour B, using this, create 3 pom poms. (I wrapped mine 10 times around a two and a half inch pom pom maker that you could also use three fingers). I recommend the yarn you use to tie your pom poms should be smaller yarn or string to get a tighter hold. You may need to trim your pom poms to make them more spherical. On the opposite side of the scarf from the loops, use the remaining tails to attach the pom poms.
Now with the final two tails, cross the scarf ends over so the tails are together and there is one twist in the scarf. Tie the two tails together and feed the pom-poms through the loops this way you can wear it tight or loose and open.
Please link back to this post if you post your creations for sale. And if you share it online leave a comment with a link so I can see your v
I hope you guys enjoy making these gorgeous yarns into cosy wears that you can show off in these final winter months, and enjoy your own Katlike Creation!
Until next time,
I’m Kat and that’s that!

Comments

Popular Posts