Tiny Tino Mitts - Free Pattern

Hello Readers!

It's always nice to have your skills recognized - especially by other crafty people! I love surrounding myself with creative people and hearing their point of view - it helps me to expand my own views. I recently had a favour asked of me, to create a solution to a problem on this person's behalf - this person who also happens to crochet! Bonus: it means a free pattern for all of you!

STORY TIME!

I've mentioned my bestie Crystal on many occasions (usually when I make something for her), this time I made something for her son - but at the request of her mom! Crystal's mom and I both discovered each other's crochet skills at Crystal's baby shower in the fall - we both made blankets! 
Fast forward to March - Baby Tino is a happy, healthy and strong 2.5 month old, and like any other infant, he has knives for fingernails. Crystal was going through baby mittens so fast she resorted to using his socks! Grandma was not having that solution - so she requested “Zia Kat” (that's me!) come to the rescue - and I can't say no to Grandma (she outranks me!) 
While Crystal's mom does crochet herself, she prefers to work in bulky yarns, and that does not lend itself well to this kind of project. So I picked out a bright cyan blue and a pastel mint in Caron Simply Soft and got to work - and after some experiments I developed the Tiny Tino Mitts! 

Mr Tino is now 4 months old, so these mitts are sized a bit larger - I will include the instructions for a smaller size as well for the brand new babies out there.

Notes: 
At the start be sure to crochet over the tail from the magic circle in the second row - it makes finishing so much easier. 
This project is worked in continuous rounds - I have included the stitch count at the end of each row in (brackets). 
I found that the row of slip stitches in the final row helped to tighten the opening of the mitt, preventing it from slipping off as the child moves. 

Tiny Tino Mitts: 

  1. Magic circle, sc 6 into mc (6) 
  2. Sc inc around (12) 
  3. [Sc, sc inc] repeat around (18) 
  4. [Sc 2, sc inc] repeat around (24) 
  5. [Sc 3, sc inc] repeat around (30) 
  6. Sc around (30) 
  7. Sc around (30) 
  8. Sc around (30) 
  9. [Sc 3, sc dcr] repeat around (24) 
  10. Sc around (24) 
  11. [Sc 4, sc dcr] repeat around (20) 
  12. Sc around (20) 
  13. Sc around (20) 
  14. Sc around (20) 
  15. Sc around (20) 
  16. Sc around (20) 
  17. Slp st around (20) tie off and weave in ends, turn project inside out so that the “right side” is now inside. 

Smaller size: 
Rows 1 to 4: same as above 
Rows 5 to 10: sc around (24) 
Rows 11 to 17: same as above

I am so glad I got to share the crochet love with the next generation, and I am very grateful that Crystal's mom thought of me to make these for her grandson - that boy will get the best handmade gifts for life!
Please share this pattern with the expectant mothers in your life - or feel free to make them some Tiny Tino Mitts yourself! Just let them know your creation is Katlike (and be sure to share the results with me ‘cause I'd love to see!)

Until next time, 
I'm Kat and that's that! 

Comments

Popular Posts