Granny Pride Vest - Free Pattern

Hello Readers!
Welcome back! I know its been a minute since my last post - and don’t worry my Beginner Basics series will continue! But in the mean time I have this new project I want to show off to you all - I call it the Granny Pride Vest. To me it not only represents my pride as a crocheter - honouring the craft and techniques handed down by our predecessors - but also my pride as a bisexual person. Through the use of the classic granny square, in Caron Cotton Cakes Calico Flowers; it gives the impression of your grandmother’s hand-me-down afghan, but with a modern, wearable, flair! Perfect for your local Pride Parade or celebrations!
When I started this blog, I began writing a series about making a granny square sweater... which I never finished. Admittedly, I did not have the knowledge, at that time, to make up my own pattern. But I have since developed my skills - so this will be my round 2! 
I recently completed Hooked on Homemade’s Boho Tank pattern and I am so pleased with how it turned out - it also made me realise how much I enjoy working with squares! The motif that Breann chose for this pattern really gives it the bohemian, festival vibe - especially when combined with the tassels! I find that projects involving multiple squares work up so fast - or at least it feels that way (still took me all of June to make this vest). There are so many different motifs you can use, to make all sorts of things, and each square gives the gratification of a completed project!

Technically speaking - not all square motifs are Granny Squares. A classic Granny Square is comprised of clusters of 3 double crochets separated by chain spaces. I have seen it with 2 chains or 1 between the clusters, with an extra chain in the corners - it usually depends on the weight of yarn and your tension as to which method works better. For any beginners out there I have included the instructions for the classic granny square, following that is the construction layout for the vest. I would love to see everyones version of this so tag me on instagram, facebook or twitter when you're done!

Granny Pride Vest


Supplies:

Abbreviations:

Yarn: Caron Cotton Cakes
Ch - chain
Colour: Calico Flowers - Weight: Medium/4
Ch sp - chain space
Hook: H - 5.00 mm
Dbc - double crochet
Scissors
Slp st - slip stitch
Darning Needle
Prev - previous


Make 14 squares in this size and 1 large square with 16 rows:
  1. Magic circle - ch 3 into magic circle (counts as 1st dbc), dbc 2, *ch 2, dbc 3 into magic circle, repeat from * twice more, ch 2, slp st into 3rd start ch to join, pull magic circle snug.
  2. Slp st backwards into prev 2 ch sp, ch 4 (counts as dbc and 1 ch sp), [dbc 3 into next 2 ch sp, ch 2, dbc 3 into same 2 ch sp, ch 1] repeat [] twice more, dbc 3 into next 2 ch sp, ch 2, dbc 2 into same 2 ch sp, slp st into 3rd start ch to join.
  3. Slp st into next 1 ch sp, ch 3 (counts as first dbc), dbc 2, [ch 1, dbc 3 into 2 ch sp, ch 2, dbc 3 into same 2 ch sp, ch 1, dbc 3 into 1 ch sp] repeat [] twice more, ch 1, dbc 3 into next 2 ch sp, ch 2, dbc 3 into same 2 ch sp, ch 1, slp st into 3rd start ch to join.
  4. Slp st into prev 2 ch sp, ch 4 (counts as last dbc and 1 ch sp), dbc 3 into 1 ch sp, ch 1, [dbc 3 into 2 ch sp, ch 2, dbc 3 into same 2 ch sp, ch 1, *dbc 3 into 1 ch sp, ch 1, repeat from * once more], repeat [] twice more, dbc 3 into 2 ch sp, ch 2, dbc 3 into same 2 ch sp, ch 1, dbc 2 into 1 ch sp, slp st into 3rd start ch to join.
  5. Slp st into 1 ch sp, ch 3 (counts as first dbc), dbc 2, ch 1, dbc 3 into next 1 ch sp, ch 1, [dbc 3 into 2 ch sp, ch 2, dbc 3 into same 2 ch sp, ch 1, *dbc 3 into next 1 ch sp, ch 1, repeat from * twice more] repeat [] 2 more times, dbc 3 into 2 ch sp, ch 2, dbc 3 into same 2 ch sp, ch 1, dbc 3 into next 1 ch sp, ch 1, slp st into 3rd start ch to join.
  6. Slp st into prev 2 ch sp, ch 4 (counts as last dbc and 1 ch sp), *dbc 3 into 1ch sp, ch 1, repeat from * once more, [dbc 3 into 2 ch sp, ch 2, dbc 3 into same 2 ch sp, ch 1, **dbc 3 into next 1 ch sp, ch 1, repeat from ** 3 more times], repeat [] twice more, dbc 3 into 2 ch sp, ch 2, dbc 3 into same 2 ch sp, ch 1, dbc 3 into next 1 ch sp, ch 1, dbc 2 into next 1 ch sp, slp st into 3rd start ch to join, cast off and weave in ends.
*For the larger Granny Square for the back of the vest - continue working the rounds in this way until you reach 16 rows.
I used 3 different techniques for joining in this project: Invisible stitching (sewed together with a darning needle), Surface chains and the Granny Join. Find the tutorials for these here: Invisible - Surface Chains - Granny Join

Start by using the Invisible Join technique to attach 3 squares together in a line - do this again so you have 2 lines of 3 squares. These will make the front panels of the vest around the sleeves. I tried to match up my squares colour wise to give it a nice balance.
You will notice that once you have these laid out next to the large square that they are longer than that square. This is because we want the shoulders to wrap over us and not create a sharp seam. Lay them side by side, as shown in Image 1, so the bottom lines up. With the wrong sides against each other, lay the strip of 3 squares over the large square and seam up from the bottom using the Surface Chains technique - *only seam up to half way through the middle square of the front panel.* 
Image 1
Do this on both sides - once that is complete you can seam the tops of the strips to the top of the large square as indicated in Image 1. You now have the top half of a vest! If you want you could even stop here and leave it a cropped vest. I like the look of long crochet vests so we are going to keep moving.
Image 2

With the remaining 8 squares we are going to do something interesting to give a bit of shape to the cape part of our vest. Start by seaming together with Surface Chains 4 squares into a larger square as shown in Image 2.
Image 3
Now is where we move onto the Granny Join to give us the extra width we need! Starting along the length of our 2x2 square - using the Granny Join attach 2 squares to both opposite edges as in Image 3. Then Granny Join between those 2 new squares. Do this on both sides of the 2x2 square. The bottom line will now flare a bit, but the top should now be the same width as the top half of the vest as you can see in Image 4. You can seam the 2 halves together using the Surface Chains technique and VOILA!
Image 4

At this point I added 2 extra Granny Stitch rows around the front and bottom of the vest to tidy-up the edges. I started these rows at the bottom of the top square on the front panel, working all the way around to the same spot of the other side as shown in Image 4. I added on a strand at the front to hold the front panels together - but this vest works just as well left open and flowey.

I know I am a bit late for Pride month - but as many have said before - we should be proud year round! This vest is a great way to share your pride and support for those you love. I think it is a beautiful thing to wear your heart on your sleeve like that - so why not a whole vest!? Let me know your thoughts on this pattern in the comments below or on Katlike Creations social media! I would love to see your version of the Granny Pride Vest!
Until next time,
I’m Kat and that’s that!

Comments

Popular Posts