How I create my own patterns

One of the ways I like to train my brain is by creating a project from scratch, with my own pattern. That may sound tricky, but if you know the basics of your craft you should be able to invent your own projects too! 
Creating my own pattern
I'm going to walk you through the process I use when venturing into a fresh project with no one else laying it out for me. This will mainly focus on crochet as that is what I usually work on; I will show examples of other work I've created on my own.

Planning Stage


You should always start a project with a final goal in mind, whether or not you have a pattern. Define to yourself what your project needs:
  • the colours you wish to use
  • the qualities you want it to have
  • if it is for someone, consider what they would like
  • if it is wearable, do you know what size to make?

It is important to define these things before you begin because it will affect every step of the pattern making process. This is the brainstorming session before you actually start crafting.

Granny Square Tablet Case
Tablet sleeve of my own design

Inspiration


A good way to find inspiration is from free patterns, you can find a new stitch to learn or maybe a layout that you can tweak. Now this does not mean steal a free pattern and claim it as your own. Even if you change aspects you should always link back to the original pattern when sharing your version or project online. Every bit of advertising can help an artist even if they don't charge for their patterns.


Measurements


I find that more pre-planning helps a lot in the long run, even if it seems tedious to start. Take careful measurements and ensure your tools are right for the job. Depending on the yarn/needles/hooks you decide on, the size of your work will change. These details are important to consider when taking your measurements and having enough materials to complete the project. Measurements are especially important if what you are making is going to be worn.


Crochet Turtleneck hood that didn't go as planned...
The hood in question

Last Christmas I made a hood with an inner collar for my friend. I had no way of measuring her, so as I worked I tried it on myself. I did not write anything down before or during this process, but I did end up with a hood. It draped over my shoulders and then inside was a turtleneck collar with a button clasp so it could be worn open. Thank goodness I added that button because her neck and shoulders are not the same size as mine (of course). Fortunately it was still wearable, just not as I had intended. It just goes to show the time it takes to do a swatch and measure some limbs could save your entire project from (almost) failing.


I would highly recommend you do a swatch if you need to know the number of stitches to a certain size. Usually if you are working from a pattern it will mention a swatch at the start. It states the number of stitches and rows to make a 4 inch (or 10 cm) square. This is the best way for the pattern writer to ensure no discrepancies between the sizing and your final product. This works the same way when you're developing your own pattern. If you know that 4 inches is 14 stitches in your chosen yarn, you can figure out that you would need 70 stitches for 20 inches.

Writing the Pattern


Once you have the necessary measurements and have chosen your materials you can write out your pattern.
Stitch chart for a project I created from scratch.
This is the chart I made for creating my Celtic Knot cross stitch.
  • You may chose to draw a stitch chart. If so, I suggest using the symbols already present in crochet patterns, that way you won't confuse yourself, and everyone else can read your chart. A stitch chart can also be used for cross stitch, all you need is pixel art! Graphing paper will be your best friend if you map your pattern by hand, but MS Paint works just as well.
  • If you prefer you can write out your pattern row by row like a professional. Again you should be using terms that are already in common use, this will help you create the pattern over in the future or possibly even publish it for sale.
  • Your pattern may just be a jumble of notes to yourself such as stitch instructions, colour changes, measurements and anything you think of as you go. This is a good way to work if it's a one-off piece or if you plan on writing the formal pattern later. It's quick and easy and it will help you improvise later on.

Improvisation

Anyway you like it you should always start with something written down to reference back to and revise if need be. Always be prepared to improvise while you're working; improv just means saying "yes, and..." instead of "no". If a mistake should appear you may be able to hide or remedy it without having to remove the work you've done. This can save a lot of time, and in some cases, heartache.
Copyright the BBC
There will be a link to a knit pattern
at the end of the post

When I was first starting out with crochet my mum would help me a lot of the time. She is a seasoned crafter and has no qualms about ripping out work to fix a mistake. I had decided, in all my beginners' wisdom, that the best project to attempt was my own version of the Doctor Who scarf. This scarf is easily 12 ft long and has as many colours as you can imagine. I was intimidated at first, but my excitement outweighed my fear; how hard could a scarf be? I was doing a simple double crochet back and forth, but I started with 50 stitches across. With my newbie hands that came out to just over a foot and a half wide. After many painstaking rows I became discouraged; this whole thing was going to take so much longer than I expected. I went to my mother and explained my issue, and she proceeded to pull out my work! I was in shock, I had worked so hard, and it was disappearing before my eyes; I had no experience with tearing out work. I stopped my mother before too much went and I told her I needed a solution that didn't involve losing work I had done. She could see how upset it made me so she redid a few rows for me, folded the work in half, sewed up 2 sides, and made me a pocket and a scarf in a reasonable 25 stitches wide. It was now more unique and my own and I got to work with my mum to problem solve.


This kind of improvisation can really save a lot of time, especially if you are just learning. You can't be afraid to tear out work like I was though, sometimes it is necessary if your pattern is specific. I know that when you're beginning it seems like so much work that is just going away, but as you get better you will think of those small corrections as mere speed bumps.


I hope this post was helpful in some way because us beginners gotta stick together! Comment below if you’ve had a similar experience where some pre-work would have saved a lot of trouble.


Until next time, I'm Kat, and that's that!
(pst: Here is the Doctor Who Scarf pattern)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts